Mar 1, 2009

Bowden resigns from GM

Nats Gene-- FORMER general manager Jim Bowden resigned today, after 5 seasons of messing up with the Nats, highlighted by signings of Felipe Lopez, Austin Kearns, Johnny Estrada, Paul LoDuca, Wily Mo Pena, Daniel Cabrera, Corey Patterson, and Jason Simontacci. Also by the non-signings of Torri Hunter, Aaron Rowand, Orlando Hudson, Aaron Crow, and Mark Texeiria. Bowden was a terrible GM, mostly by relying a little too much on the Nat's farm system and young players. I like the idea of having young and promising players, but Bowden took it way too far, and decided to not get any proven player who has done it in the big leagues, like Milledge, Nieves, Alberto Gonzalez. And he uses this as a excuse in the press conferences. "Listen, we're young, so just shut up, go away, and let these un-established players build our championship club. Bye."

Bowden's statement included: "I am today resigning my position as Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Washington Nationals. It is an emotional decision that saddens me, but one that I feel is in the best interests of two of the things I love most - baseball and the Washington Nationals." also: "At the same time, while I have done nothing wrong, I place a greater value on the love, respect, and best interests of my family, friends, the game of baseball -- that I've served lovingly and faithfully for close to 25 years -- and, the reputation and future of the Washington Nationals, which I'm proud to have been a part of since its inception in 2004." and lastly: "Like anyone else, I have made mistakes in all areas of my personal and professional life, but I leave here with the true belief that I have done nothing intentionally to harm the Washington Nationals or Major League Baseball. The team, the fans and media can now turn all of their attention from the distractions off-the-field to where it belongs, on the baseball field for the Washington Nationals and their upcoming 2009 championship season." Even though it is tough to resign from GM and probably not have a job again, at least you could tell the truth. He said he did nothing wrong as GM, he has to realize that Felipe Lopez wasn't that good, and Austin Kearns didn't hit .280 with 80 RBI's and 25 homers. He also said: "for the Washington Nationals and their upcoming 2009 championship season." I like how he's being optimistic, but championship season?

The Nats are not sure who will be the new GM, but Mike Rizzo, the former vice GM will be a candidate. Even though Rizzo will be better than Bowden was, I would like to get a former player who has GM/Manager experience rather than Rizzo. That's why I didn't like the equations of Bullpen coach Randy Knorr (I would have kept Rick Aponte) or hitting coach Rick Eckstein (Although it looks like he has proven himself, so far). Team president Stan Kasten, who will serve as General Manager until a replacement is found, said the team would have made its decision for new GM soon..

Adam Dunn has finally made his decision, he will play in the World Baseball Classic for team USA. I would like to see him hit in a Nat's uniform and get to know his teammates and coaches, but that gives Nick Johnson a chance to start at first base while there is an outfield of Willingham in left, Milledge in center, and Dukes in right, and see who plays the best. If all of the above stay, either Johnson, Milledge (probably not), or Willingham will be a backup, Nick Johnson the most likely.

Joel Hanrahan also said he will play in the World Baseball Classic, for team USA. He said he was considering it for a long time. He will join the team in Clearwater, Fla., and work out on Tuesday. Rick Eckstein recommended to USA that Hanrahan sould be on the team. A spot on the roster opened up when Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan pulled himself out due to concerns about the current state of his mechanics. "When Manny and St. Claire gave me the approval, I decided to do it," Hanrahan said. "I only have a year in the big leagues. I still have some work to do. I'm trying to develop my changeup this year. There is still work to do to get ready for the season. You are still committed to the Nationals -- you have to be 100 percent for them when April 6 comes around." Last year, he was 6-3 with a 3.95 ERA and nine saves.

The nats have started the season 2-3 in Spring Training play. The starters have looked really good so far, the bullpen has looked really shaky, and it looks like hitting from back when, well... 2008. The nats have averaged just 2.8 runs a game, in the last two losing to the Cardinals 2-9 and Orioles 7-5. In the Card's game, the Nats just had only four hits, and Daniel Cabrera made his Nats debut, going two innings and gave up two runs (one earned), while walking none and striking out none. Ross Detwiler had his first outing of the spring, and it was the worst I have ever seen, walking 4 and giving up a hit, so in total giving up 3 runs and retiring none. Justin Maxwell was the player of the game for the nats, going 1-2 with two walks, and robbing Chris Duncan of a grand slam, leaping over the wall. (above)

The nats finally got their first home run of the spring, Nick Johnson solo shot in their 7-5 loss to the O's. Scott Olsen made his Nats debut, throwing two scoreless innings, while walking none and striking out two, but then comes the bullpen. Tyler Clippard throws an inning, giving up 3 runs. Also Garret Mock (ERA: 13.50) threw an inning, giving up two. The nats have an off day, and then on Tuesday play the Italian World Baseball Classic team, John Lannan will start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice blog.

I hope that Austin Kearns can play 162 games this year.
I think he is the key to the Nats being a contender.