Jan 26, 2009

NatsFest


Yesterday, I went to the 1st annual NatsFest, held at Nationals Park. Overall, it was pretty good. I got a chance to get autographs from players, including Willie Harris, Garret Mock, Elijah Dukes, John Lannan, Terrel Young, Mike O'Conner, and Steven Shell. I also got a photograph with Ryan Zimmerman, and another one with Scotty Olsen and Hammer (Josh Willingham). It was cool to see the players, though the line was way too long. So, anyway, here was our day. So we arrive at Nats Park pretty early, and there is already a problem to be seen. They only have 2 check-in places, which means there were monstrous lines. So we (me, son, and friend) get in, and go immediatly to a talk by political writer George Will. This lady tells us the room is at full compacity, and we can't come in. I look inside. Maybe about 30 people, tops. So then at about 1:40 we go in line to have a autograph from Manny Acta, Scotty Olsen, and Josh Willingham. We waited forever, and eventually the Acta, Olsen, and Hammer session was over, at 2:30. Then Steven Shell, Willie Harris, Mike O'Conner, and John Lannan walked by us to take their place. All of the other nats fans couldn't care less, thinking it was some normal nats fans with jerseys on. Knowing Willie Harris is a really cool guy, as he goes by, I say "Hey Willie,". He turns around, gives me a sincere look, and says, " Hey, whats up, man." I get the autograph at about 3:10 ( an hour and a half of waiting) and go to a picture with Scotty Olsen and Hammer. We then went in the clubhouse, where everyone's locker and stuff is. It was very cool-looking, and right across the hall (but was blocked) was the conference room, which is where Acta spends his countless hours seeing if Dukes can calm down (never) and having a conversation with Kearns to see if he can actually hit a major league pitch.
Acta: "Austin, your 0-28, can you start hitting?" Kearnsy: " Sure. I will try my hardest every day. Notice how I'm not complaining and working hard?" Bowdon: "Well...Just because you were a Cincinnati Red and you didn't complain, I will sign you to a 6 year, 260 million dollar contract!" So Bowdon.
Then we went to a pic with Ryan Zimmerman, and I got a chance to shake his hand, his is about 3 times stronger than mine and his wrist was huge. I didn't say anything to him other than "Hey Ryan" and "Thanks". Now I think I should have told him about me calling his walk-off. Than I went to see and get a autograph from Garret Mock, Terrel Young, and Elijah Dukes. Dukes' arm muscle is huge. I didn't shake his hand, but now I wish I did. What I did do was ask him what outfield spot he prefers, and he replied a good attitude. " I don't even care where I play as long as I even can play," he said. So after that we left. Overall, there was a lot more nat's fans there than I expected. I proudly thought my son would be wearing the most Nationals, with a nats hat, a nats coat, and a Zimmerman jersey under the coat, but there were a lot of nats fans with gear on. This could mean a lot more nats fans in '09. I think a lot more players should come than just seven, but, overall, this is a great experience for fans to meet the players.

No comments: